Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Adventures of the pregnant homeless lady, entry #1

So here we go...we are officially moving out of this house on June 9 and will not move into a new place until August...and to be honest we have no idea where that place will be. We have decided to use the money normally budgeted for housing and utilities to travel the country instead. A bit more spontaneous than we are used to but I'm thinking it will be fun...except for the days when I think this is totally irresponsible and insane...WHO DOES THIS?!?!?

Apparently we do this. Here's the deal. Dan has 8 weeks off work in the summer anyway, it will be much easier to travel while pregnant than with a newborn, we haven't been to see relatives in way too long, and it's seriously hot and miserable in Houston in the summer...the money we would spend on AC alone is paying for a nice portion of the trip.

Here's a short list of the things we have done/not done to prepare for the trip, just so you can all help me keep track...

Done:
  • bought one of those cool cargo things for the top of our van
  • got White House tickets
  • checked all MLB schedules of cities we may be anywhere near during the trip
  • informed our land lord that we are leaving
  • reserved 4 of the 10 nights we will need in hotels
  • alerted family members that we will be spending way more than 10 nights with them
  • purchased Dan's tickets to come home during the trip for scout camp/random day of work
  • received the blessing of my OB...who stated "That's awesome, more Mom's should get out and do things before the baby comes"
  • reserved a storage unit for our belongings (the car topper isn't THAT BIG)
  • large amounts of "mapquesting"

Not Done:
  • informed my employer that I am not exactly going to be working anymore...
  • reserved the other 6 nights needed at hotels
  • found Dan a place to stay while back in Houston for a week
  • packed/cleaned
  • FOUND A PLACE TO LIVE IN AUGUST!!!

Let the adventure begin!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've started a blog! Yeah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I'm going to add you to my blog list on my blog. Let me know if that freaks you out and you don't want me to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blogging world or blogosphere, whichever way you lean. What an adventurous mama you are! It sounds like you guys will have quite an adventure. Send me your e-mail and I will invite you to my blog (it's private).
    kingsofnv@netzero.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. Isn't it fun to get lots of comments? You are so popular!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry. I will stop stalking your blog now, but did you notice that all your comments are from Julies? Cuz we are cool that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do feel popular...but it is weird that only people named Julie have commented...I need to widen my circle of friends! And no, it does not bother me to be linked on someone else's blog...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love having another blog to read, thanks! Also, pregnant? Congrats! And traveling? AWESOME! You can always stay with us, but somehow I bet our neck of the woods is not a place you're low on a free housing supply. Don't bother reserving hotel rooms. Just show up and offer half price. That's what my bro-in-law does and it seems to work for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! I can't wait for you to stop and see us!!! I think your Summer trip is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete